Address: 414 Grant Street Year Built: 1917 Height: Unknown Floors: Unknown Function: Municipal Construction: Unknown Style: Unknown Categories: Unknown Architects: Henry Hornbostel & Edward B. Lee Aliases: None Found Web Site: None. Pittsburgh, Allegheny County
|This building is seat for both the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. The interior is lined with bronze columns by Tiffany Studios. Out front of the city-county building is a statue of former mayor Richard S. Caliguiri. Caliguiri is responsibile for Pittsburgh's second renaissance. Caliguiri renewed the public-private partnership which allowed for private funding of development through the public authority. While he was mayor from 1977 to 1988 Pittsburgh experienced some of it's best corporate growth in its history. Some of the buildings that were made during the renaissance II period were The CNG Tower (now Dominion Tower), 5th Avenue Place, PPG Place, One Oxford Centre, One Mellon Tower, The Federated Tower, The Westin Hotel, and the original David L. Lawrence Convention Center (later demolished re-built). In addition to these buildings, Pittsburgh's subway began operating in 1985. On October 1, 1987, Richard Caliguiri announces he has amlyoidosis which he will soon after die from on May 6, 1988.|
Sources and Copyright
All images, text, and code (c) copyright 2001-2003 William Kammermeier. The following sources were used to obtain information:
Astorino. "Richard S. Caliguiri Statue."
Johnson, L.A. "Tower Power." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 21 April 2002, E11.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The Interactive Edtion of The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
"A Pittsburgh Century." <http://www.post-gazette.com/newslinks/timeline1981.asp>.